Kale, Carrot, Turnip, Tomato and Potato Soup
I created this recipe using veg I had in the fridge – and its not bad! Enjoy with a slice of Heart of Nature bread toasted, topped with cottage cheese and slices of gherkin (Biona brand is very good).
5 large leaves of kale (stalks removed) OR 5 handfuls of pre-chopped kale from a supermarket
2 large carrots (peeled or scrubbed)
1 onion (peeled)
1 medium sized turnip (peeled or scrubbed)
2 large potatoes OR 4 small potatoes
1 tin of tinned tomatoes (400g – the same size tin as a tin of baked beans)
250 to 300g of veg or chicken stock (I used chicken stock)
¾ tsp of Himalayan or Rock salt
Pinch of pepper to taste
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Pinch of nutmeg
• Chop the kale and onion finely (I use a Magimix food processor) and saute in a generous amount of olive oil on low heat for 5 minutes
• Chop the rest of the veg finely (in the food processor) and add to the kale and onion in the saucepan
• Immediately add a good splash of water so that the veg doesn’t stick to the bottom of the saucepan and add the stock
• Stir for a minute and top up with more boiled water until you get the right consistency for your soup.
• Cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
• Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving